When stator wedges are loose, this allows stator coils or bars to vibrate in the slot, leading to insulation abrasion and eventually a ground fault. Stator wedges are traditionally tested for tightness by tapping them with a hammer and listening to the sound produced. This method is slow and prone to inconsistency. Electronic evaluation of wedge tightness is faster, more accurate and provides more consistent results.
Iris Power Stator Wedge Analyzer (SWA) Instrument can be used to test most types of generators and motor stator slot wedges, including those with ripple springs, to easily and effectively assess the tightness of stator wedges.
A hand-held probe automatically taps and measures each wedge approximately 30 times in three seconds. An accelerometer gathers the data and transmits it to the Iris Power SWA. Results are presented on a computer in the form of numeric values and a color-coded tightness map.
Iris Power Stator Wedge Analyzer (SWA) Instrument can be utilized for the following:
- Make well-informed maintenance decisions based upon reliable and consistent SWA data
- Use for all rotating machinery, including wedging systems with ripple springs
- In Standard test mode, tightness of each wedge is compared to predefined values while in Advanced mode, the tightness of each wedge can be compared to all other wedges in the winding, the wedges of another winding or any user selected external reference
- Repeatable, objective, numeric test data removes subjectivity of hand tapping methods
- Fast, easy wedge tightness testing and analysis
- Permanent record of test data
- Easy report generation
Related electrical test equipment available for rent from Protec:
Wherever the job takes you (and the equipment), with Protec’s multiple locations, we always ship from the office closest to your desired drop location (if the electrical test equipment you need is in-stock at that location), and the equipment can be returned to the nearest office.
We always consider ALL shipping options in order to save you the most time and money.
Also, if you happen to be close to one of our many office locations, walk-ins are always welcome!
Rely on the Electrical Test Equipment Rental Experts, we are there when and where you need us.