High potential testing is one of the diagnostic tests for assessing insulation reliability of cables. This test simply applies a very high voltage to the test sample and checks if the insulator can handle the test voltage. If there are any defects in the insulator like chaffing or contaminants, a flashover will form and the tested cable will eventually break down.
If you are thinking of getting a hipot tester, you might be interested in the HV Diagnostics HVA30 Hipot. It is an advanced high potential tester that has a DC and AC output that lets you test not only medium voltage cables but also other electrical components like transformers, switchgears, motors and bushing.
- Internal storage of test results
- 30 kiloVolts symmetrical sinewave output
- Built in insulation resistance and capacitance meter
- RMS meter
- VLF or DC hipot mode
- Ergonomic and backlit user interface
- 5 μF load capability
- Automated load capacitance measurement and optimum selection of frequency
- Automatic and manual testing mode
- Accessories included:
o Ground cable
o Power cable
o HV Diagnostics software
o USB to RS232 adapter
o RS232 cable connector
o High voltage output cable
Need test equipment? Consider getting them from Protec. We offer short or long-term rental plans to suit your needs. Call a Protec expert today at 1-866-352-5550 for assistance.