It can be time-consuming to troubleshoot cable problems on installations that are very long. Just think of the hassle you’ll go through testing a cable inch by inch that’s several thousands of feet long. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to pinpoint defects in a matter of seconds? With the improvements in cable testing technology, you can now find cable defects accurately without spending too much time and effort.
A Time Domain Reflectometer is a device that lets you determine the exact location of a cable defect. There are devices that can accurately find cable problems as far as 1,000,000 feet. It finds defects by sending a short pulse through the test sample. A defect causes localized impedance change. When the pulse encounters that spot, an echo is formed and goes back to the tester. This information is used by the device to automatically calculate for the distance of the defect. A TDR is not only suitable for electrical distribution systems but also for other applications like CATV, telephony and cellular facilities.
Getting a TDR for cable diagnostics can definitely save you time and effort in troubleshooting and preventive maintenance. If you are thinking of getting one, you might want to read the comparison below to help you determine which model meets you needs.
Megger 900 Time Domain Reflectometer
This device offers excellent features for pinpointing cable defects. It has an automatic impedance matching circuitry match most cable types available today. It also has a high resolution which lets it find faults accurately down to 20 inches..
- Backlit front panel LCD screen
- Runs on 4 LR6 batteries
- Live line detection and alert
- Has an internal library reference of 29 cable types
- Can accurately pinpoint defects down to 20 inches
- Finds faults up to 12,000 feet
- Auto shut-off feature to conserve battery power
- Internal storage for saving 20 custom V.O.P settings
- Trace cable routes using its integrated tone generator
- Automated adjustment of range, sensitivity, impedance and an auto-zero feature
- Internal protection of up to 250 Volts
- Ingress Protection 54 rating
High Voltage TDR1669 Time Domain Reflectometer
This cable fault locator lets you find faults up to 48,000 feet. This device can be used with popular impulse and arc reflection systems for extensive cable diagnostics. It features an internal storage for saving up to 15 traces and an RS232 interface for PC connectivity.
- Automated locate and range selection functions
- Can accurately find cable problems up to 48,000 feet
- 10.5 inches Dual LCD screen
- Arc Reflection and TDR mode
- RS232 serial interface that lets you connect the device to a computer
This tester boasts a very long cable defect detection range. It can find defects accurately up to 1,000,000 feet away. It also has a high voltage coupler that lets you connect the device to a thumper. The TDR1130A has an internal memory so you can store traces and retrieve them in the future for comparison or trends analysis.
- Adjustable pulse width from 100 ns up to 20 μs
- Runs on batteries which makes it suitable for field use
- A resolution of 2.5 feet and a 100 MHz sampling rate
- Can be connected to most thumpers
- Selectable 25 to 50 volts pulse output
- Internal memory for saving 16 samples
- 7-inch LCD screen
Protec is a trusted provider of cable testers and other diagnostic equipment. Choose from a wide range of devices from brands like Megger, High Voltage Inc, ABB, Hipotronics, GE and Fluke. Our inventory is updated regularly to ensure we can accommodate your needs. If you need assistance in choosing the right equipment for troubleshooting or maintenance, call us at 1-866-352-5550. Our applications specialists are ready to help.