Batteries are essential in substations, power plants, telecom and other industrial facilities. Storage cells serve as auxiliary power in case of power interruptions or for powering diagnostic equipment during maintenance. Unfortunately, batteries may lose their capacity even before they reach their expected operating life. It is important to keep storage batteries well maintained to ensure they are readily available in case of power interruption. Just imagine having an emergency and your backup batteries are defective. This can cause interruption of service and delays in repair.
Megger offers a wide selection of battery testing equipment to help you assess battery condition and capacity. Here are some devices that you might be interested in checking out.
Megger BITE2P Battery Impedance Test
This tester can help you determine the internal condition of nickel cadmium and lead-acid cells with storage capacities of up to 7000 Ah. It has advanced features and automatically calculates for pass, warning or fail results which allows easier and faster testing.
This device tests a battery by passing an alternating current through the cells. The device then measures the total current and voltage drop across each cell. The values measured is then used to calculate for the internal impedance of the storage cell.
Ideally, a good cell should have low impedance. However, when the connections, plates or electrolytes are degrading, the impedance increases.
- Internal memory for storing measurements, pilot and ambient cell temperatures and ripple current.
- 15-second testing per cell
- RS232 PC connectivity for data analysis and report generation
- Built-in printer
- 100 to 130 volts and 210 to 250 V AC input voltages
- Large digital LC screen
- 6.50 VDC at 1.10 Amperes output
- 0.5% one sigma precision
- 3-second settling time
- EMC Directive 2004/108/EC and LVD Directive 2006/95/EC compliant
- Weighs 8.2kg unpacked
This device allows you to assess the condition of lead-acid storage cells with capacities if up to 2000 Ah. It runs on Windows CE and has a 32 MB internal memory. This tester lets you easily measure interconnection resistance, impedance, ripple and float currents.
- Built-in spectrum analyzer to measure the harmonic content of the ripple current
- Comes with the PowerDB LITE management software
- 0.05 to 1.000 milliOhms, 1 to 10.00 milliOhms and 10 to 100.0 milliOhms impedance range
- 1/4 VGA LCD screen
- Battery allows 2 to 4 hours operation time
- 12 VDC at 5 Amperes output
- Optional thermal printer
- 3-second settling time
- Better than 0.5% one sigma
Megger Battery Voltage Monitor
The Megger BVM is designed for easy testing of large storage cell banks usually found in UPS systems, substations and telecom installations.
This device helps in automating battery voltage measurements during capacity tests. The Megger BVM has a modular design that allows it to be daisy chained up to 120 units. This feature allows economical and easy expandability to test small to large battery systems. It also has a fast setup and can be connected to a battery in any test position.
- Auto Discovery feature allows the host device to determine automatically the number of storage cells under test
- Excellent accuracy and stability
- Wide voltage range
- 120 channels
- 0-5 and 0-20 VDC ranges
- 1MOhm input impedance
- LVD 2006/95/EC and EMC 2004/108/EC compliant
- 100/240 VAC input voltage
- ESD, over voltage, transient and reverse voltage protection
- Weighs 0.07 kg
- Can monitor battery string voltages up to 300 VDC
Megger TORKEL 860 Battery Load Unit
The TORKEL 860 load unit is used in battery banks ranging from 12 to 250 Volts. This device can discharge batteries at a rate of 110 Amperes. Its modular design allows you to link more load units for a higher current discharge. You can connect the TORKEL 860 to a computer through a serial port. This lets you monitor test progress, transfer, analyze and store results. The serial port connection also allows remote-controlled operation.
The TORKEL 860 Battery Load Unit is designed to test various battery systems with different voltages. Testing can be carried out without disconnecting the battery from the equipment. This is very convenient and helps shorten testing time.
- Adjustable alarm and shutdown thresholds to avoid over discharging
- Expandable design allows extra TXL load units to be linked
- TORKEL WIN software allows real-time viewing of test progress and results
- Serial port connection for data transfer, analysis, storage and report generation on a PC
- Large clear LCD display
- EMC 2004/108/EC and LVD 2006/95/EC compliant
- 100-240 VAC input voltage
- 150 Watts power consumption
- 0-110A current range
- 0.1-2000.8 Ohms resistance range
- Measures current from 0-2999 Amperes
- Measures voltage from 0-60 Volts
- 15 kiloWatts load power rating
Protec Equipment Resources offers Megger equipment through various acquisition options. We also carry other major brands of equipment like Siemens, ABB, Fluke and more. Our inventory us updated every week with the latest test equipment on the market. Please give our application specialists a call at 1-866-352-5550 to learn more about our services.